Secondment Opportunities for Teachers - NCSE Support Service
Developing Schools' Capacity to Include Students with Special Educational Needs
From March 2017, the NCSE has responsibility for
- providing Continual Professional Development (CPD) and support for teachers in the area of special educational needs (SEN) to enhance the quality of learning and teaching in relation to SEN provision (formerly provided through the SESS)
- providing support and expertise to partner schools on issues related to behaviour (formerly provided through the NBSS)
- supporting the introduction of the new model of resource teaching allocation to schools and to develop capacity to meet the needs of students with SEN
A number of full-time seconded positions at Assistant National Coordinator and Advisor levels are required by the NCSE (working in association with Cork Education Support Centre and Navan Education Centre) to support the work of this service for 2017/18 school year. For further details of these positions including a job description and application procedures, please go to www.ncse.ie
The closing date for applications is 3pm on Thursday, April 20th 2017.
Guidelines for Schools - Supporting Children with Special Educational Needs in Mainstream Schools
The following documents are to provide guidance to schools on the use, organisation and deployment of additional teaching resources for pupils with special educational needs. This guidance is provided in the context of a revised model for allocating special education teaching resources which is being introduced by the Department of Education and Skills (the Department) in September 2017.
- Guidelines for Primary Schools - Supporting Students with Special Educational Needs
- Guidelines for Post-Primary Schools - Supporting Students with Special Educational Needs
Special Education Teaching Allocation Circulars - Primary and Post-Primary
Circular 0013/2017 and 0014/2017 have been distributed to mainstream Primary and Post-Primary schools to advise schools of the revised allocation process for Special Education Teachers from the 2017/18 school year. The circulars are available at the following links:
New Model for Allocating Special Education Teaching Resources to Schools
January 18th, 2017 - The Minister for Education and Skills, Mr. Richard Bruton T.D., announced that a new model for allocating special education teaching resources to mainstream primary and post primary schools will be introduced from September 2017.
- The Minister's press release is available here
- The review of the pilot project for the new model for allocating teaching resources to mainstream schools to support pupils with special educational needs is available here
- The NCSE press release is available here
SESS Primary Language Curriculum CPD
Special Education Support Service (SESS) is continuing its professional development programme for the Primary Language Curriculum/Curaclam Teanga na Bunscoile.
Whole-school professional development for The Primary Language Curriculum will be provided to special schools by the SESS during the school year 2016-2017.
For further information click here
NCSE - Teacher CPD Database for Inclusion and Special Educational Needs
This database is an online reference tool designed to provide practical support to teachers looking for continuous professional development opportunities in the area of inclusion and special educational needs. It brings together in one place an extensive range of information relating to CPD options, delivered by a variety of different providers.
To this end, the database does not seek to replace information from individual providers, but rather acts as an initial source of general information and a ‘signposting’ mechanism for further information.