This is a five-hour seminar to be delivered over two evenings (2 x 2.5 hrs.)
This seminar aims to provide primary teachers with an introduction to the topic of Exceptional Ability and Dual Exceptionality in primary schools.
- Have a knowledge and understanding of the concept of Exceptional Ability and Dual Exceptionality (EA/DE)
- Be aware of the role of assessment in identifying exceptionally able and dual exceptional pupils and their unique learning needs
- Have an understanding of the particular social and emotional needs of pupils with EA/DE and an overview of strategies to support them
- Understand the policy framework that underpins the inclusive education of pupils with EA/DE in Ireland
- Receive an introduction to the concept of metacognition and metacognitive strategies
- Have a range of differentiation teaching strategies and resources for the teaching of EA/DE pupils
- Participate in the planning of appropriate instruction for EA/DE pupils.
The seminar has three main sections which address three key questions for teachers:
- Section 1: ‘What are we talking about?’ - What do we mean by ‘Exceptionally Able’ and ‘Dual Exceptional’?
- Section 2: ‘How do we find out who they are and what are their needs?’ - Assessment, Identification and Needs
- Section 3: ‘How do we teach them’ - Teaching the Exceptionally Able and Dual Exceptional
Time: 7.00pm – 9.30pm
Booking is essential as places are limited. An application form can be accessed below.
|24th & 25th Sept. 2012||Waterford Teachers' Centre||10th Sept.|
|1st & 2nd Oct. 2012||Limerick Education Centre||17th Sept.|
|3rd & 4th Oct. 2012||Athlone Education Centre||19th Sept.|
|8th & 9th Oct. 2012||Wexford Education Centre||24th Sept.|
|10th & 11th Oct. 2012||Sligo Education Centre||26th Sept.|
|15th & 16th Oct. 2012||Navan Education Centre||1st Oct.|
|17th & 18th Oct. 2012||Cork Education Centre||3rd Oct.|
|22nd & 23rd Oct. 2012||Galway Education Centre||8th Oct.|
|22nd & 23rd Oct. 2012||Drumcondra Education Centre||8th Oct.|
|24th & 25th Oct. 2012||Kilkenny Education Centre||14th Oct.|
|5th & 6th Nov. 2012||Laois Education Centre, Portlaoise||22nd Oct.|
|7th & 8th Nov. 2012||Mayo Education Centre||24th Oct.|
Click here for Application Form [MS Word, 58 kb]
Course Support Documents
Click here for Course Support Documents