In the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), pupils are taught to communicate a need by exchanging an image, thus helping to enhance the pupil’s communication abilities and understanding of the function of communication.
The system was designed for young and preverbal children and follows eight defined stages.
The method also encourages the pupil to initiate spontaneous communication.
Further information on the PECS system is available on www.pecs.com.
Pyramid UK is providing a series of 2-day PECS workshops in Ireland during 2015
Professional Cost: £315.00
1. Teachers need to apply in advance through the SESS Professional Development Support. The application form can be downloaded from http://www.sess.ie/support
2. Teachers need to allow at least 6 weeks for SESS to process their application.
3. Once approved, teachers should apply and pay for a place from PECS (www.pecs.com )
4. Courses are available in 2015 as outlined in the table below
5. On completion of the course, teachers should apply to SESS for a refund of the fees, including a receipt of the fees, a copy of their Certification of Participation and a completed SESS evaluation form.
PECS Level 1 Training (Basic) 2 Day Workshop
|O'Callaghan Alexander Hotel, At Merrion Square, Dublin 2||23/04/2015 - 24/04/2015|
|La Mon Hotel & Country Club, Belfast, BT23 5RF||07/05/2015 - 08/05/2015|
|Pillo Hotel and Spa, Headford Road, Galway||05/10/2015 - 06/10/2015|
|City Hotel, Queens Quay, Derry, BT48 7AS||12/10/2015 - 13/10/2015|
|The River Lee Hotel, Western Road, Cork||09/11/2015 - 10/11/2015|
|Carlton Hotel, Tyrrelstown, Dublin 15||30/11/2015 - 01/12/2015|