In the Picture Exchange Communication System (PECS), pupils are taught to communicate a need by exchanging an image, thus helping to enhance the pupil’s communication abilities and understanding of the function of communication.
The system was designed for young and preverbal children and follows eight defined stages.
The method also encourages the pupil to initiate spontaneous communication.
Further information on the PECS system is available on www.pecs.com.
Pyramid UK is providing a series of 2-day PECS workshops in Ireland during 2013-14
PECS Level 1 Training (formerly called PECS Basic Training)
- 3rd and 4th February 2014: Dublin – Carlton Hotel, Blanchardstown
- 1st and 2nd May 2014: Cork – The River Lee Hotel
- 12th and 13th May 2014: Portlaoise – Portlaoise Heritage Hotel
- 14th and 15th May 2014: Belfast – La Mon Hotel
- 6th and 7th October 2014: Dublin – Carlton Hotel, Blanchardstown
- 13th and 14th October 2014: Derry – City Hotel
- 10th and 11th November 2014: Galway – Clayton Hotel
SESS will consider funding applications for PECS courses through its Supports Scheme.
Please note the following in relation to this:
- Teachers can apply to SESS for funding for PECS by completing the Supports Scheme application form - the 'Individual Professional Development’ application form can be downloaded from www.sess.ie/supports or from the link below.
- Teachers should apply directly to PECS for places on the above course - www.pecs.com
- We would advise that teachers should only book their place once they have their funding granted by the SESS and not before, otherwise they will be liable for the PECS cancellation policy
- Applications for funding to SESS must be submitted prior to attendance at these courses and the necessary timescale is outlined on the application form
Click here for a Supports Scheme Individual Professional Development form for funding for the 2-day PECS courses. [PDF - 110KB]
Click here for further details on the SESS Supports Scheme