This curriculum is for teachers of children in junior and senior infants and in first and second class. It applies in all school contexts—English-medium schools, Gaeltacht schools, Irish-medium schools and special schools. The curriculum for junior and senior infants is aligned with the principles and methodologies of Aistear: the Early Childhood Curriculum Framework.
Special Education Support Service (SESS) is continuing its professional development programme for the Primary Language Curriculum/Curaclam Teanga na Bunscoile. A two hour introductory session took place last year followed by a full day introductory seminar for principals and one other teacher from special schools which was co-facilitated by PDST and SESS.
Whole-school professional development for The Primary Language Curriculum will be provided to special schools by the SESS during the school year 2016-2017. This will comprise of a full day seminar for which school closure has been sanctioned. Schools will be contacted in due course with respect to the date of their seminar.
- Curriculum Online - Language Curriculum
- Progression Milestones - Oral Language
- Oral Language - Progression Continuum
- Support Material
- Example's of Children's Language and Learning Development
- Draft Planning Frameworks for the Primary Language Curriculum
- SESS Functional Language and Communication Resource
- PDST - Primary Language Curriculum
NCCA Research Reports
- NCCA Research Report Number 7 - Primary Curriculum Review; Phase 2
- NCCA Research Report Number 13 - Effective Language Teaching; A Synthesis of Research
- NCCA Research Report Number 14 - Oral Language in Early Childhood and Primary Education (3-8 years)
- NCCA Research Report Number 15 - Literacy in Early Childhood and Primary Education (3-8 years)
- NCCA Research Report Number 16 - Towards an Integrated Language Curriculum in Early Childhood and Primary Education (3-12 years)