- Download DIFFERENTIATION in the classroom for students with special educational needs [Powerpoint - 6MB]
- Download DIFFERENTIATION in the classroom for students with special educational needs [PDF - 1.28 MB]
- Differentiation Template [PDF - 118KB]
- Differentiation Template [Word - 104KB] ( A template to assist teachers when differentiating individual lessions - From The Inclusion of Students with Special Educational Needs - Post-Primary Seminar.
- The following is a copy of the presentation delivered at the SESS seminar in Croke Park 2009. This seminar was for principals of post-primary and special schools offering second-level curricula. The overall theme of the seminar was the teaching and learning of students with special educational needs in the inclusive school.
Meeting the needs of students with special educational needs through team teaching [PDF - 3MB]
Meeting the needs of students with special educational needs through team teaching [Powerpoint - 228KB]
- Co. Cork VEC has a series of videos on Team Teaching on its website.
Click here to see the Co. Cork VEC videos
Individualised Planning for Pupils with Special Educational Needs
- 'Individual Education Planning: Guidelines'These guidelines contain three sections:
A. The Individual Educational Plan – Introduction
B. Steps involved in Individual Education Planning
C. IEP Meetings – A Sample Format
'Click here to download Guidelines for Individual Education Planning (MS Word, 85kb)
- Templates for IEPs
Click here do download Template 1 (MS Word, 75 Kb)
Click here do download Template 2 (MS Word, 55 Kb)
Click here do download Template 3 (MS Word, 75 Kb)
- Click here to download Template 4 (MS Word, 46Kb)
- Student Planning and Target Setting / Individual Behaviour Plan
Click here to download (MS Word, 154 Kb)
- 'Individual Profile and Learning Programme' (IPLP) - from the Learning Support Guidelines
Click here to download (MS Word, 66 Kb)
- Download SESS PowerPoint presentation on IEPs
Individual Education Planning [Powerpoint - 1MB]
- Download PDF version of SESS presentation on IEPS
Individual Education Planning [PDF - 702 KB]
Planning and Administration Templates
- Teacher's Timetable [PDF - 32KB]
A blank timetable - simply print and complete by hand.
- Teacher's Record of Homework [PDF - 37KB]
Keep a record of homework you've given and who's getting it done. Easy to see each individual's record at a glance.
- Individual Homework Record [PDF - 28KB]
If you need to record / analyse one student's pattern of completing homework. Can be a good motivation for the student who may be reluctant or non-compliant!
- Attendance Record [PDF - 48KB]
Most suitable for second-level of specialist teachers - keep a running record of daily attendance at your classes. Essential for L.C.A., where 90% attendance is compulsory.
- Teacher's Record of Assessments [PDF - 30KB]
Can be used for formal assessments or class-based assessment. Scores can be given in whatever format is required (raw scores, percentiles, etc.)
- Webcast: ‘The Metacognitive Teacher and Learner: An Introduction to Metacognition in the Classroom’
This webcast examines the important role which Metacognition can play in learning and teaching. It has four main sections:
- What metacognition is and why it is important in teaching and learning
- Metacognitive strategies for use by students and teachers
- How metacognition can benefit students with special and additional learning needs
- Ideas on how to implement metacognition in schools
- 'Metacognition for the classroom and beyond: Differentiation and support for learners'
This resource was produced by the SESS as part of the Equality of Challenge Initiative related to the teaching of exceptionally able students. The resource provides an overview of metacognition, along with various strategies which teachers can use with students to enhance their learning.
Click here to see 'Metacognition for the classroom and beyond: Differentiation and support for learners' (PDF, 1.3 Mb).
Click here for further details about the Equality of Challenge Initiative
- Learning Styles Questionnaire
This tick-box questionnaire helps pupils discover their preferred learning style
Click here to download Learning Styles Questionnaire [MS Word,93Kb]
- Teaching Strategies Checklist [PDF - 109KB] A checklist for teachers to reflect on the teaching strategies they employ - From The Inclusion of Students with Special Educational Needs - Post-Primary Seminar.
- Monitoring and Supporting on Task Work [PDF - 96KB] Explanations of strategies teachers can consider in relation to monitoring and supporting on-task work. From Challenging Behaviour of Students with Special Educational Needs: A Whole School Post-Primary Seminar.
- Effective Teaching and Strategies Checklist [PDF - 75KB] A brief list of stragegies for teachers to consider in relation to the learning and teaching of pupils with behavioural difficulties .From Challenging Behaviour of Students with Special Educational Needs: A Whole School Post-Primary Seminar.
- It's Good to Talk - Using Case Based Learning [PDF - 2MB] This programme aims to assist schools to enable parents and early years’ teachers to support children with communication difficulties/restricted language development.
- A-B-C Monitoring Form [PDF - 40 KB] Example of an A-B-C (Antecedent, Behaviour, Consequence) Monitoring Form. The A-B-C Moniforing Form can be used to track and analyze behaviours in order to devise new ways to approach and respond to them.
- My Story - Opening the Spectrum
The following samples of ‘My Story’ relate to specific pupils with ASDs and the key learning points and teaching strategies employed to support their learning.
To view PDF documents you will need to download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website.