Seminar begins: 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.30 PM
This full-day seminar will provide professional development in assistive technology software for pupils with specific learning disabilities and will explore the use of this type of software in school.
The seminar is available to both primary and post-primary teachers. The software used will be Texthelp Read & Write Gold which is commonly recommended for pupils with specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia. Other similar types of software will also be reviewed.
- Understand the role of this type of assistive technology in helping pupils with specific learning disabilities such as dyslexia
- Be able to use the main features of this software
- Be able to peer-support colleagues in the use of the technology and teach pupils how to use the software as the need arises
- Be aware of the issues that can lead to the abandonment of assistive technology
Course Outline and Content
- Learn the main features of this software and gain hands-on experience and confidence in its use
- Develop the skills and knowledge to learn more about the functions of the technology independently after the course
- Explore the practicalities of managing this type of software and associated hardware, such as laptops and scanners in school
- Raise awareness of the issues that can lead to the abandonment of assistive technology
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Places are limited to 12 teachers and to one teacher per school
- This seminar is open to Mainstream primary classroom teachers and Special Education Teachers who work with pupils with Special Educational Needs
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.