Seminar begins: 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.30 PM
This course will explore the professional software, Dragon NaturallySpeaking, MAC and iOS (iPad) voice recognition and voice typing in google docs. The course will also explore models of teaching and implementing voice recognition for a student with Specific Learning Disability and/or other Special Educational Needs and look at difficulties using this type of software and help attendees develop strategies to assist students to utilise this software to its full potential..
- Understand the role of voice recognition in assisting pupils with disabilities and its benefits.
- Gain hands-on experience and confidence with all current voice recognition software and learn its main features.
- Be aware of the issues that can lead to the abandonment of voice recognition.
- Explore the practicalities of managing this type of software and associated hardware, laptops and headsets in school and at home.
- Develop the skills and knowledge to learn more about the functions of the technology independently after the course.
- Develop the ability to tutor teachers, SNAs and pupils on the software as the need arises in school.
Course Overview / Content
- Introduction to voice recognition
- Initial setup
- Creating a user profile
- General NaturallySpeaking Tips
- Tutorial, Commands – controlling the computer by voice
- Dragon Sidebar & Menu
- Additional Features & Transferring user files and backups!
- Windows Voice Recognition - Set user profile, Dictation, Software system & menu
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Teachers working with students with a special education need
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with student(s) with a special education need
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.