Seminar begins: 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 4.00 PM
This is a two day course for teachers working with students in the pre-or early-verbal stages of communication development and is designed to empower teachers with the knowledge of
- how language is typically acquired
- the differences in how children with autism acquire language
- the way in which language proficiency impacts on learning and which components of language are important to consider in the classroom.
The Presenter is Ms. Pamela Raftery, Speech and Language Therapist, Arc Speech and Language Clinic.
- will be aware of the dynamics of communication
- will feel confident in formulating and implementing communication goals for students
Course Overview / Content
The course provides teachers with the knowledge of how language is typically acquired, the differences in how children with autism acquire language, how language proficiency impacts on learning and which components of language are important to consider in the classroom.
The course also provides practical strategies for use with early communicators such as:
- Useful strategies for enhancing communication drawn from evidence based programmes such as Hanen “More Than Words” www.hanen.org
- Practical ideas for teaching language concepts in the classroom
- Guidance in sourcing appropriate language resources for use in the classroom
- An overview of parent programmes/resources that would be helpful to parents.
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Teachers working in classes for student(s) with Autism in a mainstream setting
- Teachers in Special Schools who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.