Seminar begins: 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.30 PM
This course is suitable for teachers working with students of all ages who have profound learning disabilities and complex needs, including autism.
Intensive Interaction is a simple, straightforward and intuitive way of getting in touch with students of any age, who can seem “hard to reach”. This one-day workshop will explore ways to use Intensive Interaction to enhance the life experience and develop the skills of students whose communication is largely at a pre-verbal/pre-intentional stage.
This course is provided by the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) and is facilitated by Janet Gurney, Chief Executive of “Us in a Bus”, a not-for-profit organisation based in the South East of England. Janet has over 20 years' experience in supporting people through Intensive Interaction.
Participants will :
- understand the principles and techniques of Intensive Interaction
- explore how these principles can be used
- be enabled to build more fulfilling, interactive and equal relationships with the young people they support.
Course Outline and Content
This course will give practical ideas to promote fundamental communication skills and help develop positive, interactive behaviour. It will explore how to use Intensive Interaction to promote and develop alternatives to self-involved or challenging behaviour.
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Teachers working in classes for student(s) with Autism in a mainstream setting
- Teachers in special schools who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.