The SESS published 'Signposts' in order to outline how differing categories of special educational need can affect teaching and learning. It also offered tips for teaching, along with additional resources and references.
Copies of the publication were sent to each school but, because of demand, the individual chapters are made available below in PDF format.
Categorising the complex and diverse nature of disability in this form is not intended to equate individuals with disability labels. Rather, these categories act as signposts that enable teachers to negotiate the social, psychological and biological factors that affect each individual pupil’s learning and unique needs. The strategies outlined are not exclusive to any category, or indeed to special educational needs, and should be used in conjunction with a number of key publications:
- Learning Support Guidelines [DES] [PDF - 474KB]
- Circular SP ED 02/05 [DES] [PDF - 437KB]
- Circular PP 70/14 (DES) [PDF - 437KB]
- Inclusion of Students with Special Educational Needs: Post Primary Guidelines [DES] (PDF - 3.25MB)
- A Continuum of Support [NEPS] [PDF - 296KB]
Sections of 'Signposts'
- Section 1: Assessed Syndromes [PDF - 3.9MB]
- Section 2: Autism/Autistic Spectrum Disorders [PDF - 1.8MB]
- Section 3: Dyspraxia [PDF - 1.7MB]
- Section 4: Emotional Disturbance and/or Behavioural Problems [PDF - 3.9MB]
- Section 5: Exceptionally Able [PDF - 1.7MB]
- Section 6: General Learning Disabilities [PDF - 2.5MB]
- Section 7: Specific Speech and Language Disorders [PDF - 1.4MB]
- Section 8: Physical Disabilities [PDF - 3MB]
- Section 9: Sensory Impairments [PDF - 2.3MB]
- Section 10: Specific Learning Disabilities [PDF - 2.3MB]
- Section 11: Appendices [PDF - 1.3MB]
The complete document is also available in PDF format
Click here to download the complete document [PDF - 26.9MB]