Seminar begins : 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.15 PM
The seminar is designed for Primary Principals and Teachers who are currently working with a child diagnosed as having Autism. The seminar provides and understanding of Autism and how this effects the pupil’s ability to learn and develop social skills. It also focuses on assessment and strategies to enable inclusion and access to the curriculum.
- Develop an understanding of Autism & the challenges pupils with Autism can experience in mainstream classrooms
Examine the unique learning styles of pupils with Autism
Discuss assessment and practical strategies to enable the inclusion of pupils with Autism
Engage in the practice of planning for pupils with Autism
Explore methods to support pupils in acquiring social skills
Develop an understanding of approaches & strategies for eliminating challenging behaviour and developing adaptive behaviour
Course Outline and Content
- Overview of Autism and the challenges experienced by the pupil with Autism.
- Strategies such as developing social skills, structuring the learning environment, work systems, using timetables and visual supports
- Understanding challenging behaviour and strategies to develop adaptive skills
- Overview of assessments, IEPS and curriculum differentiation
- Brief historical background, psychological theories and additional difficulties associated with ASD
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Teachers working in classes for student(s) with Autism in a mainstream setting
- Teachers in special schools who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.