Seminar begins : 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 4.00 PM
Please note the finish time of this course. Attendance for the full day is required in order to obtain the Lámh Level One certificate.
This certificate will be required should you wish to progress to the Lámh Level One Add-on Course.
Lámh is a manual sign system used by children and adults with intellectual disability and communication needs in Ireland. It is a type of augmentative or alternative communication system (AAC). A decision as to whether Lámh is the appropriate communication support for an individual is made only after an assessment has been carried out. Lámh signs are based on Irish Sign Language (ISL). Speech is always used with Lámh signs. Lámh signs are used to support communication.
- Be able to use the 100+ signs from the Module One Book
- Use Lámh as an effective communication tool
- Contribute to assessment or decision-making around Lámh use
- Participate effectively in an established Lámh environment
Course Overview / Content
This course introduces Lámh as a means of supporting communication, enables teachers to become familiar with 100 signs and provides practical opportunities for teachers to engage in Lámh. The course is provided by the National Council for Special Education (NCSE) in conjunction with registered Lámh tutors regionally.
Information for Applicants
This course is open to
- Teachers working with Lámh users in a mainstream setting or special school
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
- Please note the finish time of this course
- Attendance for the full day is required in order to obtain the Lámh Level One certificate, this certificate will be required should you wish to progress to the Lámh Level One Add-on Course.
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.