Some Irish on-line Sources
- SESS Dyslexia Podcast for all Primary-level teachers who are working with students with Dyslexia or with traits of Dyslexia. The webcast outlines aims to: define dyslexia and its impact on learning and teaching;enable participants to recognise the indicators of Dyslexia; describe the role of memory in learning and outline strategies to support students with ‘memory’ difficulties; and provide an overview of practical strategies, methodologies and appropriate interventions to assist teachers in meeting the needs of students with dyslexia.
- 'Understanding Dyslexia - A Guide for Schools'. The information and resources in this section provide information, practical support and guidance for parents and teachers in relation to supporting and teaching children with dyslexia. These are the outcome of a project implemented by a working group that was established by the Special Education Co-ordination Committee of the North-South Ministerial Council. This body co-ordinates joint action in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in the area of special education. These resources were originally distributed to schools in 2004 in CD and DVD format. Click here for an on-line version of the contents of 'Understanding Dyslexia - A Guide for Schools'.
- Department of Education and Science (DES) (2001) Learning Support Guidelines, download from: Click here for Learning Support Guidelines (PDF, .4 Mb)
- Department of Education and Science (DES) (2002) Report of the Task Force on Dyslexia, Click here to download (PDF, 532 kb)
- The Dyslexia Association of Ireland, website: http://www.dyslexia.ie/ has published a set of Fact-Sheets for Second-Level Schools 2018
See also our section on resources to support Literacy
Some Other Online Sources
- The British Dyslexia Association: http://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/
Some Other Resources
- Early Primary School Ages 3-5 Years: Some Indicators and Strategies (link broken)
- Early Primary School Signs Ages 5-7 Years: Some Indicators and Strategies (link broken)
- Primary School Signs Ages 7-12: Some Indicators and Strategies MS Word (link broken)
- Cross Border Publications: Inclusive Dyslexia Practice [PDF - 4 MB]
- Ideas for Dyslexia-Friendly presentation (link broken)
- Great Graphic Organisers!
- Helping Pupils with Reading (link broken)
- Difficulties with memory and organisation (link broken)
- Poor reading comprehension - download from https://www.sess.ie/sites/default/files/inline-files/Reading%20Comprehension.docx
- Slow, inaccurate reading (link broken)
- Spelling - download from https://www.sess.ie/sites/default/files/inline-files/Teaching%20Spelling%20Some%20Strategies.docx and https://www.sess.ie/sites/default/files/inline-files/Spelling%20A%20Challenge%20for%20Pupils%20with%20Dyslexia.docx
- Written Language (link broken)
- Writing Frame – Contrast Genre (link broken)
- Writing Frame – Explanation Genre (link broken)
- Writing Frame – Persuasion Genre (link broken)
- Writing Frame – Recount Genre (link broken)
To view PDF documents you will need to download Adobe Reader from the Adobe website.
- Augur, J. (1996) ‘This book Doesn’t Make Sens, Cens, Sns, Scens, Sense’ (Living and Learning with Dyslexia), London: Whurr Publishers Ltd.
- Ball, M., Hughes, A. and McCormack, W. (2006) Dyslexia: An Irish Perspective, Dublin: Blackhall Publishing.
- Department of Education and Science (DES) (1993) Report of the Special Education Review Committee (SERC), Dublin: Stationery Office.
- MacKay, N. (2005) Removing Dyslexia as a Barrier to Achievement: The Dyslexia Friendly Schools Toolkit, Wakefield: SEN Marketing.
- Mellers, C. (2002) Identifying and Supporting the Dyslexic Child (rev. edn), Scunthorpe: Desktop Publications.
- Moseley, D. (ed.) (1998) ACE Spelling Dictionary: Find Words Quickly and Improve Your Spelling, Bayside, NY: LDA.
- Moseley, D. and Singleton, G. (1998) ACE Spelling Activities: Photocopy Masters for Use with the ACE Spelling Dictionary, Bayside, NY: LDA. 13 Ott, P. (1997) How to Detect and Manage Dyslexia: A Reference and Resource Manual, Oxford: Heinemann.
- Reason, R. and Boote, R. (1994) Helping Children with Reading and Spelling: A Special Needs Manual, London: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Shaywitz, S. (2005), Overcoming Dyslexia: A New and Complete Science-Based Program for Reading Problems at Any Level, New York: Vintage Books.
- Westwood, P. (2007) Commonsense Methods for Children with Special Educational Needs (5th edn), London: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Winebrenner, S. (1996), Teaching Kids with Learning Difficulties in the Regular Classroom, London: RoutledgeFalmer.