This webcast is for all Primary-level teachers who are working with students with an assessment of Dyslexia or those exhibiting indicators of Dyslexia. The webcast aims to:
- outline a definition of dyslexia and its impact on learning and teaching
- enable participants to recognise the indicators of Dyslexia
- describe the role of memory in learning and outline strategies to support students with ‘memory’ difficulties
- provide an overview of practical strategies, methodologies and appropriate interventions to assist teachers in meeting the needs of students with dyslexia.
The webcast is in two parts:
- Part 1: ‘An Introduction to Dyslexia: Signs and Indicators’ - 53 minutes long
- Part 2: ‘Dyslexia: Interventions and Strategies’ - 33 minutes long.
Suggestions for Use
The webcast can be used for professional development by individual teachers, or by a group or whole-staff for CPD activities.
It can also be used in conjunction with other SESS resources on Dyslexia, including:
- The SESS on-line version of 'Understanding Dyslexia - A Guide for Schools'
- The Dyslexia International course 'Dyslexia: How to identify it and What to do', available on SESS eLearning
- The Dyslexia section of the downloadable database from the SESS Book Borrowing Online facility
- Other information and resources available from the Dyslexia section of this website.
Part 1: ‘An Introduction to Dyslexia: Signs and Indicators’
This first section examines:
- A definition of dyslexia
- Its impact on learning and teaching
- The signs of dyslexia with an emphasis on processing, information retrieval and memory difficulties
- The indicators of dyslexia across a variety of age ranges.
Part 2: ‘Dyslexia: Strategies and Interventions'
This part examines:
- A variety of teaching interventions and practical strategies
- A range of teaching approaches and methodologies aimed at meeting the needs of students with dyslexia across a variety of age ranges.
RESOURCES REFERRED TO IN WEBCAST
|Resources||Download MS Word Version||Download PDF Version|
|Slide 10 - Memory Strategies||MS Word 65KB||PDF 262KB|
|Slide 36 - Story Retell||MS Word 36KB||PDF 361KB|
|Slide 42 - Spelling ‘Have-a-Go’||MS Word 47KB||PDF 226KB|
|Slide 45 - Key Vocabulary||MS Word 54KB||PDF 228KB|
|Slide 48 - Spelling Strategies||MS Word 156KB||PDF 570KB|
|Slide 51 - Reading Strategies||MS Word 71KB||PDF 273KB|
|Slide 56 - Homework Sheet||MS Word 253KB||PDF 369KB|
|Slide 57 - Organisational Skills||MS Word 47KB||PDF 259KB|
|Slide 58 - Strategies Checklist||MS Word 44KB||PDF 288KB|