This curriculum is for teachers of children in junior and senior infants and in first and second class. It applies in all school contexts—English-medium schools, Gaeltacht schools, Irish-medium schools and special schools. The curriculum for junior and senior infants is aligned with the principles and methodologies of Aistear: the Early Childhood Curriculum Framework.
Special Education Support Service (SESS) is continuing its professional development programme for the Primary Language Curriculum/Curaclam Teanga na Bunscoile. A two hour introductory session took place last year followed by a full day introductory seminar for principals and one other teacher from special schools which was co-facilitated by PDST and SESS.
Whole-school professional development for The Primary Language Curriculum will be provided to special schools by the SESS during the school year 2016-2017. This will comprise of a full day seminar for which school closure has been sanctioned. Schools will be contacted in due course with respect to the date of their seminar.
The NCSE Support Service has prepared a handbook on implementing the Primary Language Curriculum which is available to download.
Planning Templates [SESS Word Versions]
- Short Term Planning Templates 1
- Short Term Planning Templates 2
- Short Term Planning Templates 3
- Short Term Planning Templates 4
- Dréachtchreat le haghaidh pleanáil ghearrthréimhseach 1(pdf)
- Curriculum Online - Language Curriculum
- Progression Milestones - Oral Language
- Milestones Early A-D for Oral Language
- Progression Continuum Milestones Early A to D - Reading
- Progression Continuum Milestones Early A to D - Writing
- Support Materials Special Educational Needs Pathways
- Example's of Children's Language and Learning Development
- Draft Planning Frameworks for the Primary Language Curriculum
- SESS Functional Language and Communication Resource
- PDST - Primary Language Curriculum
NCCA Research Reports
- NCCA Research Report Number 7 - Primary Curriculum Review; Phase 2
- NCCA Research Report Number 13 - Effective Language Teaching; A Synthesis of Research
- NCCA Research Report Number 14 - Oral Language in Early Childhood and Primary Education (3-8 years)
- NCCA Research Report Number 15 - Literacy in Early Childhood and Primary Education (3-8 years)
- NCCA Research Report Number 16 - Towards an Integrated Language Curriculum in Early Childhood and Primary Education (3-12 years)