Seminar begins : 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.15 PM
This one day seminar is offered by the National Council for Special Education in conjunction with the Middletown Centre for Autism. It is suitable for Primary teachers working with students with Autism.
This seminar will examine why children experience difficulties when faced with transitions in the Pre and Primary School settings. The importance and design of a planned transition and the role of the education professional in this process will be discussed along with ideas and suggestions as to how best to prepare not only the education setting but also the parents and child.
Participants will :
- Understand why transitions are difficult for children with autism
- Be aware that it is critical to plan and have a strategy around key transitions in the child’s day and in the child’s life
- Develop simple transition plans and supports around key areas.
- Have an understanding of pressures inherent in Primary transitions
- Develop some ideas and strategies that will promote positive Primary transitions.
Course Overview / Content
- Transitions at Primary levels and why they are important
- Potential key transitions in the life and in the school day
- Pressures and difficulties which may be experienced by the child with autism
- Preparing the child for transition
- Developing a transition plan
- Good communication with home
- Strategies to promote positive transitions.
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Teachers working in classes for student(s) with Autism in a mainstream setting
- Teachers in special schools who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with student(s) with Autism
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.