Seminar begins: 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.15 PM
This is a full day seminar aimed at primary teachers involved in the teaching of children with Dyslexia.
It is designed to support teachers in the use of the iPad and in the choice of Apps which could be of relevance to pupils with Dyslexia and those with literacy difficulties in general. A number of Apps are explored in the light of Learning Outcomes from the Primary Language Curriculum.
- Review Dyslexia and the kinds of support which may be required
- Explore Accessibility features on the iPad.
- Consider teaching and learning within the setting of Technology based practices.
- Explore and appraise a number of Apps
- Salient features which affect learning for Dyslexia Students.
- Some theories of pedagogy of Technology Education
- Built-in features of iPad which aid accessibility
- Exploration and appraisal of a number of relevant Apps.
- Curricular considerations in the choice of Apps
- Hands-on practice using the iPad and some Apps
Information for Applicants
The seminar involves using iPads and Apple apps and not Android devices. iPads will not be provided. Participants should bring a fully charged and wi-fi enabled iPad, passwords and an iTunes account for the downloading of Apps. Most of the Apps will be looked at in their lite (free) version.
This course is open to:
- Teachers working in classes with pupils with SEN
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with student(s) with special education needs
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for pupils with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal. Typically substitution will only be allocated to non-substitute teachers. Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.