This is a five-hour seminar to be delivered over two evenings (2 x 2.5 hrs.)
This seminar aims to provide primary teachers with an introduction to the topic of Exceptional Ability and Dual Exceptionality in primary schools.
- Have a knowledge and understanding of the concept of Exceptional Ability and Dual Exceptionality (EA/DE)
- Be aware of the role of assessment in identifying exceptionally able and dual exceptional pupils and their unique learning needs
- Have an understanding of the particular social and emotional needs of pupils with EA/DE and an overview of strategies to support them
- Understand the policy framework that underpins the inclusive education of pupils with EA/DE in Ireland
- Receive an introduction to the concept of metacognition and metacognitive strategies
- Have a range of differentiation teaching strategies and resources for the teaching of EA/DE pupils
- Participate in the planning of appropriate instruction for EA/DE pupils.
The seminar has three main sections which address three key questions for teachers:
- Section 1: ‘What are we talking about?’ - What do we mean by ‘Exceptionally Able’ and ‘Dual Exceptional’?
- Section 2: ‘How do we find out who they are and what are their needs?’ - Assessment, Identification and Needs
- Section 3: ‘How do we teach them’ - Teaching the Exceptionally Able and Dual Exceptional
Time:7.00pm – 9.30pm
Booking is essential as places are limited.
Places are limited to two teachers per school unless the event is not fully booked. An application form must be submitted for each teacher. In the event of more than two bookings being made from a school the principal must indicate the two names to which the two places will be allocated. Places will then be allocated to other teachers if the event is not fully booked.
An application form can be accessed below.
|24th & 25th Sept. 2012||Waterford Teachers' Centre||10th Sept.|
|1st & 2nd Oct. 2012||Limerick Education Centre||17th Sept.|
|3rd & 4th Oct. 2012||Athlone Education Centre||19th Sept.|
|8th & 9th Oct. 2012||Wexford Education Centre
|10th & 11th Oct. 2012||Sligo Education Centre||26th Sept.
|15th & 16th Oct. 2012||Navan Education Centre
|17th & 18th Oct. 2012||Cork Education Centre
|22nd & 23rd Oct. 2012||Galway Education Centre
|22nd & 23rd Oct. 2012||Drumcondra Education Centre
|24th & 25th Oct. 2012||Kilkenny Education Centre
|5th & 6th Nov. 2012||Laois Education Centre, Portlaoise
|7th & 8th Nov. 2012||Mayo Education Centre