Seminar begins : 9.15 AM
Seminar concludes : 3.15 PM
This seminar is directed at primary teachers involved in teaching children with Dyslexia. It is designed to support teachers in the use of the iPad and in the choice of Apps which could be of relevance to pupils with Dyslexia and those with literacy difficulties in general. A number of Apps are explored in the light of Learning Outcomes from the Primary Language Curriculum.
Review Dyslexia and the kinds of support which may be required
Explore Accessibility features on the iPad
Consider teaching and learning within the setting of Technology based practices
Explore and appraise a number of Apps
Course Overview / Content
The course will introduce participants to a range of teaching apps as well as some of the accessibility features of the iPad. Participants will gain most from the course if they have an iPad with them on the day. Most of the Apps will be looked at in their lite (free) version.
Salient features which affect learning for Dyslexia Students
Some theories of pedagogy of Technology Education
Built-in features of iPad which aid accessibility
Exploration and appraisal of a number of relevant Apps
Curricular considerations in the choice of Apps
Hands-on practice using the iPad and some Apps
Information for Applicants
The course is open to
- Teachers working with students with a special education need
- Full-time Special Education Teachers who are currently working with a student with a special education need
- Participants will require permission from the Board of Management to attend. Typically, substitution for this seminar will only be allowed to classroom teachers with primary responsibility for students with a special educational need and if it is deemed absolutely essential by the Principal
- Typically substitution will only be allocated to non - substitute teachers
- Payment is not available to teachers in a substitute capacity
Refreshments and lunch will be provided.